Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Give Blood! Play Rugby!

I played this sport for two years without knowing what to hell
was going on. When I finally learned all the rules and nuances of
the game I was too beat up to play anymore. Most of my memories are
not of on the field heroics, but of after the game heroics. I have
probably forgotten a lot and help me out if I get anything wrong, but
without a doubt I saw and heard about some of the most interesting
things ever in my life in my Rugby days. Nothing else has even come close!
I will keep these things down to one or two sentences but feel free to comment
with as long winded version of the story as you like.

I ONCE SAW(or heard about):

Marc Holley blow snot out of his nose. Not the nostrils but the
bridge after it got split wide open.

Lance's girlfriend chase him with a high heel during a Rugby x-mas
party.

NO less that 50 people drink beer out of a Rugby cleat(Used).

Now I heard this from Paul Denu but have no reason to doubt it.
At the Mardi gras Tourney party what started as a beer slide
turned ugly. Other added substances that people slid through
in the way he told it were piss, vomit, and feces. And I heard him
tell it on the sideline to two women he just met the night before.

Does any of this ring a bell?

Pony Keg
A terrible smell coming from (player to remain nameless)'s room!
Stick Races
Rugby Queen(Steve Perry's was the best)
Kissing a Prop
Peg Leg
Party Barge
Knoxville Trip(Dave warned me to get legal advice
before re-counting this trip).
How Wild tourney girls dancing on the bar.
Boat Races

The All Ghouls Rugby tourney at SIU. Saw a lot
of devil worhsipping freaks, guys head butting a stop
sign until there head bled. Shots in a barber chair.

The first time my mom came to a Rugby game, the first thing
she saw were two guys buck naked, sliding through the mud when
they play the Old # 7 tourney out in Bartlett that year.

What is your fondest memory? I guess mine is being able to travel
with 15 or 20 guys to some tourney with less that 50 bucks in your
pocket, stay drunk for two days and get laid if you are lucky.
The on the field action was pretty fun too! Click on the comments
and leave your favorite!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, the Party Barge! I'll never forget driving it to a tournament in Little Rock. It was certainly a sight to behold with the roof cut off and flourescent spray paint worth more than the car itself covering the entire body. Much of the paint job did not contain family friendly statements. Me, Skinner, Abbot and one other I can't recall were driving to LR for the match. This fine piece of American engineering couldn't go more than 30 miles without filling the radiator due to a leaking water pump. We were pulled over on the shoulder of I40 filling the radiator when a state trooper pulled up. He ran the tags and returned to say "I hope like hell one of you guys is Paul Abbot, because this doesn't look like a Z to me." The car was an old Delta 88 that we had taken the tags off Paul's old Z (I think Skinner is still driving today). Abbot coughed up his license and all was well. We arrived at Burns Park late with the match already in session. As we rolled down the hill, we popped two red smoke grenades we had obtained from a quatermaster in the National Guard and dropped them in the rear deck speaker holes. Twin plumes of red smoke were billowing from the holes as we rolled right into the middle of the field and jumped out in full kit ready to play. What a party! H Mock

Greg said...

Ahh yea.....I was there but I think I was driving my truck and pulled over when you guys did. We used a cooler to get water out of a ditch and poured it directly in the radiator. The last thing that trooper said was "Ya'll boys got some balls" and "I be back later to see if ya'll made it out of here"

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites. One summer I decided to try and get a 7s team to tavel to Dallas and play in the Dallas sevens. I grew up and started my rugby expereince in Dallas and thought it would be a great excuse to go home for the weekend and see my old buddies at UT Arlington. Well I wrangled up a team. Forgive me if I leave someone out but I specifically remember Jay, Rick, Paul, Lance and Chuck. I know we had a few more but just can't remember who....wonder why I can't remember...

Anyway we rented a van for the trip, piled in and hit the road. I can't beleive I put my credit card down for that! When we showed up Saturday morning after an all night rugby binge we were as sorry a looking lot as you have ever seen. I think I wanted to die. We took the field, everyone except Rick as he had injured his shoulder and was just along for the ride. A few minutes into the game the ref blows his whistle and I turn to see Rick running through game, arm in a sling, drink in one hand and pretending to be an airplane, including sound effects. Weaving in and out of players as he swooped and dove like a WWII ace. Both teams just stood there in awe as the referee tried to herd him off of the field.

On the way home I was driving down the highway when suddenly the sliding side door flew open and two guys, I beleive Lance and Paul were fighting in the back and thretening to throw each other out. someone had a copy of the Sunday paper and the 70 mile an hour breeze lofted it page by page into a swirling mass throught hte van. every once ina while a page would get sucked out with a big swoosh as LAnce and Paul wrestled and through each other around the van just inches from certain death. I stuck to hanging around with the Navy guys after that...

Dave

Greg said...

I'll never forget coming back from the infamous Knoxville trip. I was in my mom's car with Deuterman, Lance, and Paul. I bought them a 12 pack. Big mistake. They were already juiced and I added fuel to the fire. Me, sober. Anyway if you can imagine riding 6 hours with overgrown 6 year olds that's what is was like. Whoever sat in the front passenger side took blow after blow to the head. It was usually Paul and of course he would try to fight back, then Doug and Lance would grab him and it was a mini-rumble. I pulled over twice, once in downtown Nashville on 1-40.
I would make them get out and cuss em out, then we would get back in and the whole process would be repeated.