Written by the infamous Steve "Pony Keg" Perry
First and foremost, thank you for your leadership with these fine young men. Please know we (all) will assist your effort in any way we can.
That being said, put me in for three hats, two easy sorority girls and one more college Rugby road trip! I'm in full agreement for having a fund-raising event during a home game - this should pull more monies from us, pass those pesos through a keg and land them on the other end as a scholarship fund(s).....or road trip money for these young, broke Bucks.
Gosh, as I dream back, I remember the first ever MSU Rugby road trip! It was in 1984 and...
...we "obtained" Hunter Mock's grandmother's Buick because my 1975 white Duster (with a red door) could not make it outside of Shelby County. We met in the MSU parking lot early that Saturday morning and loaded the jerseys, booze and balls in the trunk and headed towards Tupelo, MS. Back then, the journey was two-lane back-top the entire way. We had Hunter Mock behind the wheel and Dude-man (his name escapes me - just insert Spicoli) behind the weed-rolling while riding shot-gun. I, being of sound mind and pure of body, did not participate, but the fog rolled over the edges of the front seat and poured into the back nicely. Half way towards the King's place of birth the bottom fell out of the sky. It was at that point we learned grandma's wipers were worthless. Large flying Semi-trucks passed us on this hill-ridden backwoods blacktop at an alarming rate.
Our Buick boat captain, Col. H.Q. Mock, guided her the best any hung-over college kid could, but we finally moored the beast at the first banjo roadside gas station we found. We fiddle-farted around in the truck for tools for awhile, hit the wiper motor a few times, etc - why we lifted the hood - I'll never know... We found our salvation in the form of two old Rugby socks. Ripping a hole at the ends, we slid them onto a long piece of twine and we had wiper blades again. Driver and shot-gun rider raised and lowered these sock-wipers swiftly across the windshield. Having a "plan", we fired that mother (grandmother) up an rolled on.
We pulled into the pitch and the Birmingham Men's and some other team were kicking off. During the first play, we witnessed Walter Roop's brother rib-kicking this guy (while on the ground) to the point the Paramedics carried him off and Roop's Bro was banded from the game for two years. Again, this was my first Rugby game to witness - my first play to see. Soccer was starting to look pretty good...
During the team stretch, we circled-up and put George Thorogood's "Bad to the Bone" on our three-foot boom-box - just to sike the other team out. Mid-way through this pubescent crowd posturing, we begin to feel the pain. The pain from picking no less than 10 red Fire Ant hills as a location to stretch out before our first live crowd. We stripped down to our straps - justa jump'n and a slap'n those big-toothed red-ass ants - yes, we were MSU RUGBY DAMN IT and we were Bad to the Bone....
I guess we lost our first game - I'm sure someone kept the score. We, the ant farmers, moved our team to the front yard and home of the Tupelo Men's RFC founding father. He was in his late 40's, well over-weight and out-of-shape, but glad to finally be the center of attention. He had a good 50 Ruggers working two kegs, singing songs, and back-slapping in HIS front yard. Yes, he swelled even larger with pride for a little while. It was about this time someone screamed, "Zooloo", and my first Rugby party started its downward slide...
Our well-rounded Host had apparently score his first Try during the 40+ years on God's planet and it was his time to strip down naked and take the customary few laps around the party. He graciously explained he will conduct the tribal jaunt at the Rugby bar next week, but he surly could not...not in his own front yard...naked in front all his neighbors. You guess it - it took about 6 guys and as many seconds to strip the fat-man down in the middle on his yard - in front of his non-Rugger neighbors. It only took him about a half a 'tribal lap' around the party to make it safely to and in his front door. Boy, you should have heard the crowd laugh and laugh and to see the neighbors gasp and gawk. Wow...now that was funny...
I was pouring another fresh, but warm, keg-beer when I heard the first shot ring out...
He had entered his home as a sad stripped fat-man, trying to capture his youth and hopefully a little Rugby glory along the way, but he exited as John MF'n Wayne. He shot his pistol first, twice in the air, as a warning while balancing a shot-gun tucked neatly under a flap of arm-fat. I'm sure I sharted my white rugby shorts while taking the first two leaps back towards Grandma's boat when I heard Col. H.Q. Mock commanding to his riders to "get the keg, get the keg... I have an extra tap in the trunk!" A few more volleys in the air from the fat-man and the keg left my thoughts completely. But, after seeing Hunter low-running towards the prize keg, I was shamed into turning around, lowering my head and grasping the other handle in a trot towards safety.
During a time of this level of duress, few would have a clear mind to think about road-pops for the trip home, but not our boat captain. Yep, it was apparent, this was not Col. H.Q. Mock's first Rugby game, nor his first party to go bad.....As many in Mid South had, he had just left UT, Knoxville (reasons unknown) after his Freshman year and enrolled into Tiger High with the rest of us - bringing the party with him...
...remind me to tell you about Marc Holley's ascent to a table top in search of glory and a local named Gloria. We'll call this yarn "Dancing for Dollars or...The last Dance of the Mohican" ...Buy me a free keg-beer and I'll tell you all about it.
...see you boys at the next U of M Rugby Alumni fund-raiser.....
Regards,
Steve Perry
2 comments:
Written by Jay Hawkins
Dude Man was Joe Eisenbraun. He talked Glen "GT" Turner and myself into playing that day the night before at a Tigers football game. The next morning when GT called and asked if we were going to go, I responded with "We told Joe that we would" . With great hesitation, we went to the parking lot where I remember Steve Perry say to others, "we will kick ass today because we have Hawkins and Turner". Both GT and I looked at each other and wondered what the hell we got ourselves into.
GT and I rode with William McBride in his convertible VW Rabbit. The only people we knew was Joe (Dude Man) and Steve Perry.
Before the match, our new buddy Hunter Mock jumped up and down while taking his kit off and slapping at his body. Being 100 feet away we did not know that he had fire ants all over him, he had sat beside a fire ant mound.
During the match, I played as a lock during scrums and in the fly half position on lineout's. Being the first experience with rugby that day, I knew that something was wrong. Walter Hoop, bless his little heart was the guy that ran things that day.
Plenty of people scored that day and at the party the home owner was sure fired up about everyone doing their ZULU, but was not too happy about when we tore his clothes off. Later when everyone was running past me, I thought that the chubby guy ( I was thin back then) won't chase me away from a keg. About the second after I thought that, I heard someone yell " he has a shotgun". By the time that I got to the VW rabbit and jumped in, we were the last ones still there. GT and I kept on trying to get under the other in the back seat as McBride was trying to find his keys. We went to a guys apartment and finished the party.
Later that night we went to Danvers in Tupelo (Sunday night church crowd was there) to get a bite. A few members were throwing up in the parking lot. Later on the way back to Mempho, I had my head out the tiny back window in that rabbit.
On Monday Glen and I were asking each other if we wanted to go to practice on Tuesday. While the day before with only 1 or 2 players knowing anything about the game, we had a blast. We both decided to go to practice.
That night at Fed Ex I asked a guy to help coach. He had been working with me for a couple of months and all he talked about was LSU rugby stories. I figured that we needed some type of guidance even if was a guy from LSU. So that is how Tony Brooks came along and no he did not stop telling LSU rugby stories.
Steve, you seem to have fog roll over you on a lot of road trips.
There you go,
Jay
Also written by Jay in Response to this:
(I love both of your stories….those days are foggy to me…But was this the time Marc Holly busted his nose. I remember we played Mississippi State…I remember kegs and Zulu’s but all foggy.) written by Ernie Salera
No that was 2 years later. It took that long to talk Holley into playing. That was Rick McGhie's first road trip. When we arrived at State and he was in the back of McGhee's stud mobile Toyota, he asked where do we change. I took a line from Brookes and told him that rugby players change in the parking lot. After a couple of minutes little McGhee and I were on the other side of the car about to go change in the locker room and on the other side was a herd of Miss State girls coming towards us with their little mouths wide open. The reason they were in shock was that McGhie was buck naked, little wanker and freckles all over changing. I told him that I was just kidding but that was the way that Rick McGhie changed on the road trips from that day on.
Post a Comment